Close Menu
Daily Guardian EuropeDaily Guardian Europe
  • Home
  • Europe
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Environment
  • Culture
  • Press Release
  • Trending
What's On

Trump says agreement to end Iran war ‘largely negotiated’

May 24, 2026

Sinn Féin’s twin failure in Irish by-elections puts pressure on party’s leader – POLITICO

May 24, 2026

EU reportedly nixes UK pitch for single market in goods – POLITICO

May 23, 2026

US and Iran ‘getting a lot closer’ to an agreement to end war, Trump says

May 23, 2026

Europe races to make it harder for Trump to rattle NATO – POLITICO

May 23, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Web Stories
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Daily Guardian Europe
Newsletter
  • Home
  • Europe
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Environment
  • Culture
  • Press Release
  • Trending
Daily Guardian EuropeDaily Guardian Europe
Home»World
World

Trump says agreement to end Iran war ‘largely negotiated’

By staffMay 24, 20263 Mins Read
Trump says agreement to end Iran war ‘largely negotiated’
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

US President Donald Trump announced Saturday that a draft framework for an agreement with Iran, which would include the reopening of the Strait of Hormuz, has been “largely negotiated” and is “subject to finalisation”.

In a post on Truth Social, Trump said that the final aspects and details of the deal are being discussed and will be announced “shortly”.

“In addition to many other elements of the agreement, the Strait of Hormuz will be opened,” the US president announced.

Trump said he had a “very good call” with leaders of Saudi Arabia, Qatar, the United Arab Emirates, Pakistan, Turkey, Egypt, Jordan and Bahrain, in another sign of the prevailing influence of Gulf countries and other regional actors in convincing Trump to both stop further strikes and end the war altogether, as well as a separate call with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, which “went very well”.

Earlier on Saturday, the Associated Press quoted a regional official with direct knowledge of the Pakistan-led mediation efforts saying the US and Iran were closing in on a deal which would include an official declaration of the war’s end, with two-month negotiations on Iran’s nuclear program.

The Strait of Hormuz would be reopened and the US would end its blockade of Iran’s ports, the official told AP.

Before Trump’s announcement, Iran signalled “narrowing differences” in the negotiations as positions moved closer in recent days, especially after Pakistan’s army chief held more talks in Tehran on Friday and Saturday.

Iran state-run TV quoted Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmail Baghaei as describing the draft as a “framework agreement”.

“We want this to include the main issues required for ending the imposed war and other issues of essential importance to us. Then, over a reasonable time span, between 30 to 60 days, details are discussed and ultimately a final agreement is reached,” Iran’s official IRNA news agency quoted Baghaei as saying.

According to Baghaei, “over the past week, the trend has been toward narrowing differences.”

He said nuclear issues are not part of the current negotiations, as Tehran first seeks to end the war before discussing its nuclear programme.

“Our focus at this stage is on ending the war on all fronts, including Lebanon,” Baghaei said, adding that lifting sanctions on Tehran “has explicitly been included in the text and remains our fixed position.”

Trump earlier said he was holding off on a military strike against Iran because “serious negotiations” were underway, and at the request of allies in the Middle East. Trump has repeatedly set deadlines for Tehran and then backed off.

The war started on 28 February with US and Israeli strikes on Iran, cutting short nuclear talks with Tehran. Tehran retaliated by effectively closing the Strait of Hormuz, a key waterway for the region’s oil, natural gas and fertiliser, causing global economic pain.

The US then blockaded Iranian ports. The US Central Command on Saturday said US forces had turned away more than 100 commercial vessels and disabled four since the blockade began on 13 April.

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Keep Reading

US and Iran ‘getting a lot closer’ to an agreement to end war, Trump says

Xi Jinping urges ‘all-out rescue’ after coal mine explosion kills at least 90 in China

WHO says Ebola risk now ‘very high’ in DR Congo

In the race to succeed Trump, Vance and Rubio set for unpopularity contest among Republicans

Video. USA: MomoCon in Atlanta unites 65,000 fans for a huge geek culture fest

Video. ‘We are not for sale’: Greenlanders protest growing US presence in Nuuk

Taiwan says it has received no notification from US of any pause to planned €12bn arms sale

Video. Turkey welcomes 422 Gaza flotilla activists after Israel detention

Video. How Cubans feel about the US indictment of Raúl Castro

Editors Picks

Sinn Féin’s twin failure in Irish by-elections puts pressure on party’s leader – POLITICO

May 24, 2026

EU reportedly nixes UK pitch for single market in goods – POLITICO

May 23, 2026

US and Iran ‘getting a lot closer’ to an agreement to end war, Trump says

May 23, 2026

Europe races to make it harder for Trump to rattle NATO – POLITICO

May 23, 2026

Subscribe to News

Get the latest Europe and world news and updates directly to your inbox.

Latest News

France bans Israel’s Ben-Gvir from entry – POLITICO

May 23, 2026

Zelenskyy rebuffs Merz proposal, says Ukraine deserves full EU membership

May 23, 2026

France scales down border checks at Dover port amid chaotic delays – POLITICO

May 23, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest TikTok Instagram
© 2026 Daily Guardian Europe. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.