Close Menu
Daily Guardian EuropeDaily Guardian Europe
  • Home
  • Europe
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Environment
  • Culture
  • Press Release
  • Trending
What's On

Xi Jinping urges ‘all-out rescue’ after coal mine explosion kills at least 90 in China

May 23, 2026

WHO says Ebola risk now ‘very high’ in DR Congo

May 23, 2026

‘Anime effect’: Fans boost tourism across Asia with pilgrimages to attractions and festivals

May 23, 2026

China ‘won’t win anything’ if it ‘destroys’ Europe’s industry, French minister tells Euronews

May 23, 2026

In the race to succeed Trump, Vance and Rubio set for unpopularity contest among Republicans

May 23, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Web Stories
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Daily Guardian Europe
Newsletter
  • Home
  • Europe
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Environment
  • Culture
  • Press Release
  • Trending
Daily Guardian EuropeDaily Guardian Europe
Home»World
World

WHO says Ebola risk now ‘very high’ in DR Congo

By staffMay 23, 20262 Mins Read
WHO says Ebola risk now ‘very high’ in DR Congo
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

Published on
23/05/2026 – 7:58 GMT+2

The World Health Organization has raised its public health risk from the Ebola outbreak from “high” to “very high” in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

In an update on Friday, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, the head of the agency, said 82 cases had so far been confirmed in the country, with seven confirmed deaths.

“But we know the epidemic in the DRC is much larger,” Ghebreyesus said, adding that there were around 750 suspected cases and 177 suspected deaths.

The Director-General said the global risk from the disease remained low.

The outbreak has been caused by the rare Bundibugyo virus, which has no proven vaccine. It has also spread into neighbouring Uganda, where two cases have been confirmed and one death.

A US national who had been working in the DRC has been confirmed to have contracted the disease and was transferred to Charité hospital in Berlin for treatment earlier this week.

The hospital said on Friday that the man was “severely weakened” but was not critically ill.

“Because the course of the illness can change, he remains under close observation and is receiving treatment. He is being cared for in the high-security area of the specialized isolation unit,” it said.

Tedros said the WHO was also aware of reports that another US national deemed to be a high-risk contact had been transferred to the Czech Republic.

In the Netherlands, Radboud University Hospital said Friday that it had admitted a patient with a “low suspicion” of Ebola and had put them in isolation pending the result of diagnostic tests.

Ebola is a severe and deadly illness first identified in 1976. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, up to 90% of cases of Ebola are fatal. Symptoms can include fever, weakness, diarrhea and vomiting.

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Keep Reading

Xi Jinping urges ‘all-out rescue’ after coal mine explosion kills at least 90 in China

In the race to succeed Trump, Vance and Rubio set for unpopularity contest among Republicans

Video. USA: MomoCon in Atlanta unites 65,000 fans for a huge geek culture fest

Video. ‘We are not for sale’: Greenlanders protest growing US presence in Nuuk

Taiwan says it has received no notification from US of any pause to planned €12bn arms sale

Video. Turkey welcomes 422 Gaza flotilla activists after Israel detention

Video. How Cubans feel about the US indictment of Raúl Castro

Video. Russian strike on Sumy injures six as mass drone attack hits Ukraine

Erdoğan signs decree closing Istanbul’s Bilgi University amid criminal probe into owner

Editors Picks

WHO says Ebola risk now ‘very high’ in DR Congo

May 23, 2026

‘Anime effect’: Fans boost tourism across Asia with pilgrimages to attractions and festivals

May 23, 2026

China ‘won’t win anything’ if it ‘destroys’ Europe’s industry, French minister tells Euronews

May 23, 2026

In the race to succeed Trump, Vance and Rubio set for unpopularity contest among Republicans

May 23, 2026

Subscribe to News

Get the latest Europe and world news and updates directly to your inbox.

Latest News

Exclusive: Read Trump’s unsigned AI executive order

May 23, 2026

Top EU prosecutor complains to Brussels about Greece amid farm fraud probe – POLITICO

May 22, 2026

EU clinches new trade deal with Mexico to bolster its foothold in Latin America

May 22, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest TikTok Instagram
© 2026 Daily Guardian Europe. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.