Close Menu
Daily Guardian EuropeDaily Guardian Europe
  • Home
  • Europe
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Environment
  • Culture
  • Press Release
  • Trending
What's On

Meloni’s party gets tough on Italian peacock problem – POLITICO

May 18, 2026

Video. Cats in costumes and beauty contests draw crowds at expo

May 18, 2026

Brexit is already dominating the battle to replace Keir Starmer – POLITICO

May 18, 2026

Iran calls for reconstruction support at World Urban Forum in Baku

May 18, 2026

Pop watch mania: Swatch appeals for calm as clamour continues for its ‘Royal Pop’

May 18, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Web Stories
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Daily Guardian Europe
Newsletter
  • Home
  • Europe
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Environment
  • Culture
  • Press Release
  • Trending
Daily Guardian EuropeDaily Guardian Europe
Home»World
World

Iran calls for reconstruction support at World Urban Forum in Baku

By staffMay 18, 20263 Mins Read
Iran calls for reconstruction support at World Urban Forum in Baku
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

By&nbspEuronews Persian

Published on
18/05/2026 – 13:45 GMT+2

Iran used its appearance at the World Urban Forum in Baku this week to call for international support for post-war reconstruction, telling delegates that tens of thousands of units had been damaged or destroyed in dozens of towns and cities since February.

“We expect by conveying this message that other countries will understand our reconstruction message,” Gholamreza Kazemian Shirvan, Iran’s Deputy Minister of Roads and Urban Development for Urban Planning and Architecture, told Euronews in an interview at the forum.

“Our priority is certainly to carry out reconstruction efforts as quickly as possible so that the people who were affected can return to their homes and resume their normal lives,” Kazemian said.

Tehran Municipality said around 51,000 housing units were damaged in the capital alone during the conflict — approximately 40,000 of which sustained minor damage, with reconstruction files reportedly closed for around 85% of those cases.

The Ministry of Roads and Urban Development’s first official assessment, published at the end of March, said that around 45,000 residential and non-residential units across the country sustained damage that did not require demolition, while nearly 1,000 units were so severely damaged that they required complete demolition and reconstruction.

Euronews could not independently verify the overall scale of the damage due to multiple and contradictory figures from official bodies, non-governmental institutions and eyewitnesses.

The war, which began on 28 February following joint US and Israeli strikes on Iran, caused the heaviest structural damage in the provinces of Kermanshah, West Azerbaijan, Kurdistan, Ilam and East Azerbaijan.

The ministry said the nationwide damage from the 40-day strikes prior to the ceasefire was nearly four times the level recorded after a shorter 12-day conflict in June 2025.

Urban pressures

Kazemian also outlined Iran’s broader urban pressures which predate the war. Iran is among the world’s most urbanised countries, with a population of around 90 million of whom some 70 million live in cities.

Tehran’s metropolitan population exceeds 15 million. Rapid rural-to-urban migration has left many villages depopulated while concentrating pressure on urban infrastructure.

“We face challenges in areas such as water resources, climate change, and land subsidence,” Kazemian said.

“Necessary planning has been carried out for all of these issues, and we have identified ways to address and manage these challenges — whether in the field of earthquakes, land subsidence, or water shortages, which are among our main challenges.”

Iran is also one of the world’s most earthquake-prone countries, with Tehran and several major cities sitting on active fault lines — a risk that compounds the housing shortage and complicates reconstruction planning.

A subsidised housing programme launched under former President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, known as Mehr Housing, aimed to provide affordable homes for low-income Iranians but has failed to resolve the crisis, particularly given persistent inflation and a rapidly growing young population.

WUF13, the 13th session of the World Urban Forum, runs in Baku from 17 to 22 May under the theme “Housing the world: Safe and resilient cities and communities.”

The forum, organised by UN-Habitat every two years, is expected to produce the Baku Call to Action — an outcome document supporting the UN’s New Urban Agenda.

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Keep Reading

Video. Cats in costumes and beauty contests draw crowds at expo

Video. Fires and damaged buildings after massive Russian drone attack

Video. Watch: Bulgaria welcomes home Eurovision winner Dara with trophy

Trump says ‘there won’t be anything left’ of Iran if it does not quickly agree to a deal with the US

Turkic leaders drive their alliance towards an ‘influential geopolitical power centre’

Video. Watch: Bulgaria wins Eurovision as Dara celebrates historic victory

Video. Eurovision final in Vienna overshadowed by protests over Israel’s participation

Video. London on edge as Tommy Robinson backers and pro-Palestinian marchers rally

Video. South Korea: Thousands watch robot monks march through Seoul’s historic streets

Editors Picks

Video. Cats in costumes and beauty contests draw crowds at expo

May 18, 2026

Brexit is already dominating the battle to replace Keir Starmer – POLITICO

May 18, 2026

Iran calls for reconstruction support at World Urban Forum in Baku

May 18, 2026

Pop watch mania: Swatch appeals for calm as clamour continues for its ‘Royal Pop’

May 18, 2026

Subscribe to News

Get the latest Europe and world news and updates directly to your inbox.

Latest News

Top Belgian diplomat accused in Lumumba case dies at 93 – POLITICO

May 18, 2026

Video. ‘We want to create bridges, not burn them,’ says Finnish Minister

May 18, 2026

Video. Fires and damaged buildings after massive Russian drone attack

May 18, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest TikTok Instagram
© 2026 Daily Guardian Europe. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.