Close Menu
Daily Guardian EuropeDaily Guardian Europe
  • Home
  • Europe
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Environment
  • Culture
  • Press Release
  • Trending
What's On

Cyprus election sees parliament fragment as anti-establishment parties gain ground – POLITICO

May 24, 2026

Von der Leyen to head to Lithuania for drone crisis talks – POLITICO

May 24, 2026

Video. Turkish police use tear gas to break into CHP headquarters

May 24, 2026

Zelenskyy rejects Merz proposal for associate EU membership

May 24, 2026

Russia batters Kyiv with massive missile and drone attack – POLITICO

May 24, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Web Stories
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Daily Guardian Europe
Newsletter
  • Home
  • Europe
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Environment
  • Culture
  • Press Release
  • Trending
Daily Guardian EuropeDaily Guardian Europe
Home»Politics
Politics

UN secretary general says he’s cooperating with Trump’s Board of Peace in Gaza but doesn’t want it in Hormuz – POLITICO

By staffMarch 21, 20262 Mins Read
UN secretary general says he’s cooperating with Trump’s Board of Peace in Gaza but doesn’t want it in Hormuz – POLITICO
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

Permanent membership requires a $1 billion contribution. Many key democracies such as the U.K., Canada, France and Germany have stayed away while Russia and China have so far declined to join, leaving membership to a motley group of member states including Belarus and Azerbaijan. In January Trump withdrew an invitation to Canada to join after a spat with America’s northern neighbor.

Guterres said that beyond the Gaza reconstruction plan, he saw no need for Trump’s board. “Everything else now is a personal project of President Trump, in which he has full control of everything,” he noted. “This is not the effective way to address the dramatic problems that we have now. We need to be clear about international law, to be clear about the values of the Charter of the United Nations. That is essential in any peace initiative.”

The remarks came as Guterres visited Brussels during a meeting of the European Council that was largely focused on the Iran war. Asked if he had spoken with Trump since the start of the Iran crisis, Guterres emphatically replied, “No, no, no” — although he said that he speaks to others in the administration, but would not disclose who. 

The secretary-general forcefully defended the role of the U.N. in conflicts like the crisis in the Hormuz Strait, suggesting that his organization could be part of a plan to de-escalate attacks and retaliatory strikes and protect the crucial waterway. He cited its brokerage of the Black Sea Initiative, which allowed exports of Ukrainian food and fertilizer via a humanitarian corridor from July 2022. It lasted a year before Russia withdrew its support.

“My main objective is to see if it is possible to create conditions in the Strait of Hormuz similar to what [existed] in the past,” he said, noting that the U.N. is in contact with key actors in the Gulf as well as the European Council. 

“Of course, it’s a different context,” he said. “It would be a different solution. But we would like to be useful and we are prepared to manage the system. We have task forces created to be able to do it. But we prefer to work directly with the U.S. and other states.”

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Keep Reading

Cyprus election sees parliament fragment as anti-establishment parties gain ground – POLITICO

Von der Leyen to head to Lithuania for drone crisis talks – POLITICO

Zelenskyy rejects Merz proposal for associate EU membership

Russia batters Kyiv with massive missile and drone attack – POLITICO

Denmark’s Frederiksen gets a second chance to form next government – POLITICO

Sinn Féin’s twin failure in Irish by-elections puts pressure on party’s leader – POLITICO

EU reportedly nixes UK pitch for single market in goods – POLITICO

Europe races to make it harder for Trump to rattle NATO – POLITICO

France bans Israel’s Ben-Gvir from entry – POLITICO

Editors Picks

Von der Leyen to head to Lithuania for drone crisis talks – POLITICO

May 24, 2026

Video. Turkish police use tear gas to break into CHP headquarters

May 24, 2026

Zelenskyy rejects Merz proposal for associate EU membership

May 24, 2026

Russia batters Kyiv with massive missile and drone attack – POLITICO

May 24, 2026

Subscribe to News

Get the latest Europe and world news and updates directly to your inbox.

Latest News

Denmark’s Frederiksen gets a second chance to form next government – POLITICO

May 24, 2026

The internet is not safe for children, say UK police bosses

May 24, 2026

Video. Fighter jet tracks UFO in newly released Pentagon footage

May 24, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest TikTok Instagram
© 2026 Daily Guardian Europe. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.