Close Menu
Daily Guardian EuropeDaily Guardian Europe
  • Home
  • Europe
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Environment
  • Culture
  • Press Release
  • Trending
What's On

Christine Lagarde says her ‘baseline’ is to complete her term at the ECB – POLITICO

February 20, 2026

The EU’s envoy to Ukraine on war, resilience — and Nordic walking – POLITICO

February 20, 2026

Video. Humanoid robots dance into Beijing’s Lunar New Year celebrations

February 20, 2026

Blackcurrants, olive oil, cheese: Why you should follow these foodie trails around Europe

February 20, 2026

EU Parliament to ditch Strasbourg trips thanks to American intervention – POLITICO

February 20, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Web Stories
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Daily Guardian Europe
Newsletter
  • Home
  • Europe
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Environment
  • Culture
  • Press Release
  • Trending
Daily Guardian EuropeDaily Guardian Europe
Home»World
World

Trump warns of ‘bad things’ if Iran doesn’t make a deal as US ramps up military presence

By staffFebruary 20, 20263 Mins Read
Trump warns of ‘bad things’ if Iran doesn’t make a deal as US ramps up military presence
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email
By&nbspJerry Fisayo-Bambi&nbspwith&nbspAP

Published on 20/02/2026 – 6:41 GMT+1•Updated
7:00

US President Donald Trump said Thursday he believes 10 to 15 days is “enough time” for Iran to reach a deal, warning of bad things to happen if Tehran does not heed his call.

Trump’s latest threat comes as tensions ramp up and as the second US carrier nears the Mideast.

“It’s proven to be, over the years, not easy to make a meaningful deal with Iran, and we have to make a meaningful deal. Otherwise, bad things happen,” Trump said Thursday.

And just as Trump ramped up his threats, Iran on Thursday held annual military drills with Russia in a move that signalled both sides are prepared for war if talks on Tehran’s nuclear program fizzle out.

With indirect talks held in recent weeks making little visible progress so far, analysts believe one or both sides could be buying time for final war preparations. Saying that it hasn’t been enriching uranium since the US and Israeli strikes last summer, Iran wants the current talks to only focus on its nuclear program.

Trump said at the time that the strikes had “obliterated” Iran’s nuclear sites, but the exact damage is unknown, as Tehran has barred international inspectors.

In a letter to the UN Security Council on Thursday, Amir Saeid Iravani, the Iranian ambassador to the UN, said that while Iran does not seek “tension or war and will not initiate a war,” any US aggression will be responded to “decisively and proportionately.”

“In such circumstances, all bases, facilities, and assets of the hostile force in the region would constitute legitimate targets in the context of Iran’s defensive response,” Iravani said.

Earlier this week, Iran conducted a drill that involved live-fire in the Strait of Hormuz, the narrow opening of the Persian Gulf through which a fifth of the world’s traded oil passes.

Growing international concern

Tensions are also rising inside Iran, as mourners hold ceremonies honoring slain protesters 40 days after their killing by security forces. Some gatherings have seen anti-government chants despite threats from authorities.

Trump held off on striking Iran after setting red lines over the killing of peaceful protesters and mass executions in January while reengaging in nuclear talks that were disrupted by the war in June.

Meanwhile, there has been growing concern in Europe about the impending war between both sides and its wider implications for the Middle East.

Polish Prime Minister Donald Tusk urged his nation’s citizens to immediately leave Iran, as “within a few, a dozen, or even a few dozen hours, the possibility of evacuation will be out of the question.” He did not elaborate, and the Polish Embassy in Tehran did not appear to be drawing down its staff.

The German military said that it had moved “a mid-two-digit number of non-mission -criticalpersonnel” out of a base in northern Iraq because of the current situation in the region and in line with its partners’ actions. It said that some troops remain to help keep the multinational camp running in Irbil, where they train Iraqi forces.

“This week, another 50 US combat aircraft —F-35s,F-22s, and F-16s—were ordered to the region, supplementing the hundreds deployed to bases in the Arab Gulf states,” the New York-based Soufan Center think tank wrote. “The deployments reinforce Trump’s threat — restated on a nearly daily basis — to proceed with a major air and missile campaign on the regime if talks fail.”

Iran has always insisted its nuclear program is peaceful. The US and others suspect it is aimed at eventually developing weapons.

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Keep Reading

Video. Humanoid robots dance into Beijing’s Lunar New Year celebrations

Video. Latest news bulletin | February 18th, 2026 – Midday

Trump launches his ‘Board of Peace’ as US-Iran tensions escalate

Video. Latest news bulletin | February 19th, 2026 – Evening

Video. Ivrea Carnival 2026: Italy’s famous Battle of Oranges draws thousands

Azerbaijan’s homegrown robots step up humanitarian mine clearance

Italian broadcaster’s sports chief quits after series of Olympics on-air gaffes

Uzbekistan and US formalise joint investment mechanism in Washington

France maintains red flood alert as Storm Pedro hits southwest

Editors Picks

The EU’s envoy to Ukraine on war, resilience — and Nordic walking – POLITICO

February 20, 2026

Video. Humanoid robots dance into Beijing’s Lunar New Year celebrations

February 20, 2026

Blackcurrants, olive oil, cheese: Why you should follow these foodie trails around Europe

February 20, 2026

EU Parliament to ditch Strasbourg trips thanks to American intervention – POLITICO

February 20, 2026

Subscribe to News

Get the latest Europe and world news and updates directly to your inbox.

Latest News

Europe Today: Albanese joins us live amid calls from France for her resignation

February 20, 2026

Wildfire-friendly weather nearly triples: Will outbreaks leave countries scrambling for resources?

February 20, 2026

China’s AI chatbots censor politically sensitive questions, study finds

February 20, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest TikTok Instagram
© 2026 Daily Guardian Europe. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.