Close Menu
Daily Guardian EuropeDaily Guardian Europe
  • Home
  • Europe
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Environment
  • Culture
  • Press Release
  • Trending
What's On

Indian Coast Guard launches search and rescue operation after cargo vessel sinks in Bay of Bengal

August 23, 2026

Canadian PM Carney says new US tariffs are ‘designed to hurt us and divide us’

August 23, 2026

Six EU countries push for windfall tax on oil companies amid surging war profits

August 23, 2026

Video. Latest news bulletin | August 23rd, 2026 – Morning

August 23, 2026

Another eclipse over Spain on 28 August: where and how to see the Moon almost completely covered

August 22, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Web Stories
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Daily Guardian Europe
Newsletter
  • Home
  • Europe
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Environment
  • Culture
  • Press Release
  • Trending
Daily Guardian EuropeDaily Guardian Europe
Home»Business
Business

100,000 jobs and four plants: Volkswagen reportedly plans radical overhaul

By staffJune 26, 20263 Mins Read
100,000 jobs and four plants: Volkswagen reportedly plans radical overhaul
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

By&nbspMaja Kunert

Published on
26/06/2026 – 10:40 GMT+2

Volkswagen, the carmaker based in Wolfsburg, is bracing for an unprecedented upheaval. According to a report in manager magazin citing insiders, chief executive Oliver Blume is planning to cut up to 100,000 of the group’s roughly 657,000 jobs worldwide. That would mean doubling the previous job-cut target: only a few months ago VW announced plans to shed around 50,000 jobs by 2030 – a move that was already seen at the time as historic in its scale.

Blume is said to have already presented the board with a corresponding restructuring plan. According to a second insider, the key document deliberately contains no specific figure in order to leave room for further fine-tuning.

Four plants face closure

In addition to job cuts, four production sites are also to be shut down in the medium term, according to the report in manager magazin. The VW plants in Hanover, Zwickau and Emden, as well as the Audi plant in Neckarsulm in the state of Baden-Württemberg, would be affected. Under the plans, manufacturing at these sites would cease once the models currently built there are phased out. It remains unclear how such massive job cuts could be enforced under labour and collective bargaining law: at Volkswagen, a job guarantee currently runs until the end of 2030, and at Audi even until the end of 2033.

Beyond job cuts, the group is reportedly planning a fundamental overhaul of its structure. Both the core Volkswagen brand and the components division are to be carved out of the group and turned into independent companies. In this logic, individual spun-off brands could in future be placed on the capital market more easily.

Crisis with a long history

The current plans are not a bolt from the blue, but the provisional culmination of a deep-seated structural crisis. In the first quarter of 2026 the group’s net profit slumped by 28 percent to 1.56 billion euros, while revenue fell by two percent to 75.7 billion euros.

At the time, chief financial officer Arno Antlitz issued an unusually blunt warning: “The cost cuts planned so far are not enough. If we fail to achieve this, we risk our future.” On top of that come US tariffs, which according to Antlitz are weighing on the group to the tune of around four billion euros a year. At the same time, VW saw sales in its most important single market, China, drop by 20 percent in the first quarter – with Chinese manufacturers such as BYD not only gaining ground at home but increasingly pushing into Europe as well.

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Keep Reading

EDF authorised to prepare site for two new nuclear reactors at Gravelines plant

Five charts explaining America’s $40 trillion debt

Bessent vows bigger buybacks after bond yields erased the US Treasury’s relief rally

Takeover shield: Monte dei Paschi bids for BPM, Generali to forge €80bn Italian bank

Portugal’s pension surplus is an illusion, new report warns

Gold and silver surge in August as mounting US debt fears rattle markets

US debt tops $40 trillion as Treasury doubles bond buybacks to calm markets

Europe’s gas prices have doubled, with the worst yet to come

Oil rises as markets rebound on US Treasury debt buyback plan

Editors Picks

Canadian PM Carney says new US tariffs are ‘designed to hurt us and divide us’

August 23, 2026

Six EU countries push for windfall tax on oil companies amid surging war profits

August 23, 2026

Video. Latest news bulletin | August 23rd, 2026 – Morning

August 23, 2026

Another eclipse over Spain on 28 August: where and how to see the Moon almost completely covered

August 22, 2026

Subscribe to News

Get the latest Europe and world news and updates directly to your inbox.

Latest News

Metsola pays tribute to ex-EU Commissioner Kallas, after daughter Kaja Kallas announces father’s death

August 22, 2026

Video. Latest news bulletin | August 22nd, 2026 – Evening

August 22, 2026

Poland: Man who ordered 300 pizzas in food-delivery pranks faces up to eight years in prison

August 22, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest TikTok Instagram
© 2026 Daily Guardian Europe. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.